The Columbus Climate pt.2 one.five.nine

Diego Ruiz is a local photographer who for the past several months has been documenting the nightlife in Columbus with his camera via the one.five.nine project. He makes appearences at all the parties and events happening in town and photographs them. He has a keen eye for his subject matter and portrays the active nightlife accuratly. His one.five.nine project has great collages and photos which are very crisp and alive. He captures movement, intensity and even manages to find those subtle interactions amoungst people at partys that most of us miss while in attendance. His photos are full of contrast ranging from people raging on the dance floor to more sincere and subtle actions, such as coy looks and shy smiles. All this making for a great photo.http://www.myspace.com/onefivenineproject























Interview:

Q1. Where are you from? What brought you to Columbus, how long have you lived here?

I was born in Quito. When I was real little my parents pretty much started traveling the world moving from place to place. I’ve lived in Quito, L.A, Seattle, Portland, Austria, New York, D.C., and finally Columbus. We moved here in ‘96 but I spent my summers in NY growing up and right after high school I went on a 2 year expedition of South America.

Q2. Tell me about one.five.nine, how it started and what motivated you to get this project going?

I went to a party CJ was hosting at Bristol called “Work”. It was crazy and it got wild. I loved the clothes people were wearing. I loved that people were dancing uninhibitedly on chairs and tables to music that wasn’t Top 40 with Ryan Seacrest. I met this gorgeous girl who looked amazing in a shiny gold dress and all I kept thinking was how incredible she would look in photos. When I mentioned that to her she said "where's your camera?". People were there to party! So the next time I went I said “fuck this, I have to take my camera”. And that was the beginning of one.five.nine.

Q3. What are some of the motivating issues/ ideology that made up the project and got you to document night life in Columbus?

I think people really express themselves when they go out to party. They wear the clothes they love. They feel amazing. They talk to the people they want to talk. They drink their favorite drink and they dance the way they want to dance on whatever they want and with whoever they want. They lose their inhibitions and they become more themselves, more of who they really want to be. I think we all have something inside us that wants to come out and take over the world, even if its only for one night. Its fascinating and I want to capture that.

Q4. How about the collage style of displaying the photos, how did you come up with that?

The collage to me is my representation of what a night of partying is. A collection of individual memories you piece together. Some nights not all the pieces are there…haha.

Q5. What’s the process you go through in picking out the shots for the collages, and the process for shooting?

My process is “if I like it“. Its as simple as that. People ask me all the time why I didn’t post all the photos or where their specific photo is. If I don’t think it’s a good photo I‘ll usually delete it right on the spot. Its nothing personal. It’s just one.five.nine is a photography project.


Q6. Is there any other subject matter that you shoot?

I’m working on a series called “Photo Illustrations”. They are individual collections of photoshoots I do with some of the more intriguing girls I meet at the parties.

Q7. What are some of the other projects you worked on and where and how did you get into photography?

My roots are film and motion graphics. I want to direct films. I have 2 scripts that I dream of making happen someday when I find a rich investor that wants them. Haha.
I picked up photography right after that “Work” party. I had a camera I bought like 2 years ago and never used, so I dusted it up the shelf and started clicking away.

Q8. What are some future projects you have planned, any gallery shows in the future?

I have a couple ideas I’m keeping under my sleeve. I definitely want to do a gallery show. I’m just waiting for the right place and the right time. If anybody has a place they think might be ideal I’d love to talk to them. I made a giant collage with over 100 photos that’s being shown at Milk Bar right now. I want to do more things like that.

Q9. In my opinion the development of this community has been a positive force for non-conventional musicians and partiers to get together and have a good time, and has really propelled local DJ’s allowing them to demonstrate their talents publicly.
I feel that Columbus, in general on a global scale, is underrated. We have some really talented musicians/ artists that are set apart from others based on, in my opinion, that mid-west work ethic. People are getting together and making it happen. What are your thoughts on this and what can be done to get these people recognition?

You’re right. First of all let me say fuck all the people who are always saying “Columbus sucks. Fuck Ohio. There’s never anything to do” There’s a lot of things happening! And even if there wasn’t instead of sitting at home posting “fuck this city” posts on facebook and myspace get up off your chair and go make something happen. There are a lot of talented artists and people doing amazing things out there. I’ve met some amazing people in only the 4 months I’ve been doing this project. That negative mentality is the only thing that’s keeping us from being the next big city to blow up. Go out and have fun. Party with strangers. Flip the script! Like Bone Thugs said “you gotta get up, get out, and get something”.

Q10. Any thoughts on the future of the scene and community here in town?

I’ve noticed above everything that people really like what’s happening in Columbus. They are hungry for a movement, and its out there. They want to see more of what people are doing. There’s people with amazing style and amazing ideas everywhere. I see them everyday. I think its just a matter of it all coming together and it will be an explosion. The one.five.nine project has had an incredible response from people. I think people are good and ready to see artists go and put themselves out there. Fearlessly.

Q11. On a personal level what do you do for fun, to relax when you aren’t working etc?

I watch films, directors are my heroes. I play soccer almost everyday in the spring and summer. And the Photo Illustrations, those are always an amazing experience. Michel Gondry once said “a beautiful girl with talent always deserves to be mentioned”.

0 comments: